Title of the programme: Biology MSc [Molecular, Immuno- and Microbiology]Degree: MSc
Duration of the course: 4 semesters
Language of tuition: English
Description of the programme:
The Biology MSc Program is a 4-semester-long (2 academic years) multidisciplinary Programme offered by the Biology Departments of the Faculty of Science and Informatics, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary. Our Programme is open to qualified students who hold a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent degree) from an accredited University in biology, chemistry, medicine, pharmacy, agriculture, or related fields, and have a good command of the English language (intermediate proficiency level, B2; proofs required). All courses are held in English. The Program provides our students with a rigorous and challenging curriculum to succeed in their post-academic and professional endeavors.
The first year of the 4-semester-long Program comprises lectures, seminars and practical classes in advanced genetics, molecular biology, biotechnology, bioinformatics, immunology, cell biology, microbiology and plant biology. Both the basic and the applied/industrial science aspects of these disciplines will be extensively studied. The second year offers many more specialized lectures that are tailored to the students’ individual interests, but the emphasis will now be placed on the practical education: the students will have several laboratory courses in different aspects of molecular biology, cell biology, biotecnology, microbiology and plant biology. Each course ends with a written or oral exam. During the last semester, independent research projects will be carried out with the help of tutors from our academic staff. This project will lead to preparing an MSc Thesis that has to be publicly defended, and it is part of the MSc certificate/diploma.
The Program’s intensive, applied science-oriented education qualifies our students for a wide variety of professional work. Our graduates should find lucrative future careers in many fields including research laboratories, educational institutions, hospitals, clinics, pharmaceutical, food, agriculture and chemical industries, environmental agencies, etc. Successful graduates can also continue their studies and research by applying to our international Biology PhD program at the University of Szeged.
Social integration of our students is important to us. Special emphasis is therefore placed on an all-round advisory service in both academic and extracurricular activities by our academic and support staff. A coordination office helps the students during their entire stay in Szeged.
Scholarships are available for successful candidates through the Tempus Public Foundation.
Exemption from English language exam certificate:
During the application to the programmes of the Faculty of Science and Informatics those applicants are not required to provide the English language exam certificates who are natives of one of the following countries and can officially demonstrate that their academic studies have been conducted in English.
• Application requirements: BSc from an accredited univeristy/higher education institution in Biology, Chemistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, Agriculture, or related fields, a minimum of B2-intermediate level knowledge in English language (plus see List of required documents below)
• Application procedure: decision of acceptance can be made based on the documents submitted or a Skype interview; alternatively, an oral examination can be arranged in Szeged
• Application period for the fall semester of the academic year 2021-2022: 1 January -31 May 2021 in Dream Apply
Application fee: 35 EUR (non-refundable; free for Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship owners/applicants)
List of required documents:
The application is in the SZTE Dream Apply: https://apply.u-szeged.hu/
For further information please contact:
1. Completed application form in the SZTE Dream Apply
2. Curriculum Vitae in English
3. Letter of interest in English
4. The requested level of English proficiency is B2 (intermediate) according to the Common European Framework Reference (CEFR); the certificate must be an international language exam (e.g.: TELC B2, ECL B2, TOEFL iBT test score of 72, or RPDT score 72; Cambridge First Certificate "B"; IELTS score of 5.5 at least)
5. School certificates:
(a) Copy of the BSc degree (for applicants for MSc programmes – notarized English translation)
(b) Official full transcripts of your higher education studies ( notarized English translation)
6. Copy of the passport (relevant page(s) where passport number, name, photo and date of expiry are visible)
7. Recent medical certificate of satisfactory general health status (not older than 1 month).
8. 2 recommendation letters from recognised academic persons
9. An evidence of payment of 35 EUR non-refundable application fee
Dr. Zsolt Bereczki