Title of the programme: Applied Mathematics MSc
Duration of the course: 4 semesters
Language of tuition: English
Description of the programme:
This four-semester MSc degree programme offered by the Bolyai Institute of the University of Szeged provides a modern introduction into various areas of Applied Mathematics. The programme is open to students who hold a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics (or a close equivalent) from an accredited university.
In the first semester all students are required to complete introductory courses that lay the common mathematical foundations. Starting from the second semester students must choose one of the following three specializations: Applied Analysis, Industrial Mathematics, and Financial Mathematics. Applied Analysis is aimed at applications of analysis in problems that arise in natural sciences and industry. Industrial Mathematics is intended to provide the necessary tools for solving practical mathematical problems of engineering. Industrial Mathematics is more oriented towards industrial applications, while Applied Analysis yields a deeper theoretical background. The Financial Mathematics Specialization is designed to give the necessary mathematical knowledge to work in the areas of insurance, investments, and banking. In the last two semesters of the programme, students are required to write a Master’s thesis under the supervision of a faculty member, and at the end of the programme they must successfully pass an oral Final Examination held before a committee.
Graduates of the Applied Mathematics Master’s programme are much sought after in the labour market, and they have an opportunity to pursue a scientific career by entering a doctoral programme in Mathematics.
Exemption from English language exam certificate:
During the application to the programmes of the Faculty of Science and Informatics those applicants are not required to provide the English language exam certificates who are natives of one of the following countries and can officially demonstrate that their academic studies have been conducted in English.
Application requirements: Mathematics BSc degree or close equivalent from an accredited university, minimum of B2-intermediate level knowledge in English language (TELC B2, ECL B2, TOEFL iBT test score of 72, or RPDT score 72; Cambridge First Certificate "B"; IELTS score of 5.5 at least), plus see List of required documents below
• Application procedure: decision of acceptance is based on the documents submitted and a Skype interview
• At the Skype interview, applicants are required to be able to present the main notions, definitions and theorems of the following areas of mathematics:
Mathematical analysis: differential and integral calculus in one and several variables
Linear algebra: vector spaces, bases, linear transformations, matrices, eigenvalues
Stochastics: random variables, conditional probability, expectation, the law of large numbers, the central limit theorem
Application period for the fall semester of the academic year 2022-2023: 1 January -15 June 2022 in Dream Apply
Application fee: 35 EUR (non-refundable; free for Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship owners/applicants)
List of required documents:
The application is in the SZTE Dream Apply: https://apply.u-szeged.hu/
1. Completed application form in the SZTE Dream Apply
2. Curriculum Vitae in English
3. Letter of interest in English
4. The requested level of English proficiency is B2 (intermediate) according to the Common European Framework Reference (CEFR); the certificate must be an international language exam (TELC B2, ECL B2, TOEFL iBT test score of 72, or RPDT score 72; Cambridge First Certificate "B"; IELTS score of 5.5 at least)
5. School certificates:
(a) Copy of Mathematics BSc degree or close equivalent from an accredited university
(b) Official full transcripts of your higher education studies ( notarized English translation)
6. Copy of the passport (relevant page(s) where passport number, name, photo and date of expiry are visible)
7. Recent medical certificate of satisfactory general health status (not older than 1 month).
8. An evidence of payment of 35 EUR non-refundable application fee
For further information please contact:
Dr. László Imre Szabó